The Australian Embassy in Jakarta recognises and honours Australian alumni of all ages who have gained unique distinction and made outstanding contributions to their profession, community and country through exemplary leadership, integrity, innovation and hard work.
Supported by the Australian Embassy, the Australian Alumni of the Year Awards is the most distinguished honour given to alumni who have demonstrated achievements at a local, national or international level.
The objectives of the Australian Alumni Awards are to:
- recognise and showcase the significant contribution made by Australian Alumni in their professional fields;
- position alumni as advocates and ambassadors for Australia within their respective fields;
- Highlight and showcase Australia as an excellent education destination for prospective Indonesians students by profiling the exceptional achievements of those who have studied there;
- help broaden and deepen people-to-people links between Australians and Indonesians.
Who can apply?
The Alumni Awards are open to all Indonesian nationals who have graduated from a recognised Australian tertiary institution, including participants in short-term tertiary courses.
All applicants, except past award winners, may re-apply.
Please check inspirational stories of our previous award winners here.
How to apply?
Make your nominations here by 19 October 2020. We have a strong commitment to supporting women, persons with disabilities and indigenous people. We strongly encourage nominations of these groups.
If you are an alumnus, you are encouraged to put yourself forward for the Award or nominate an alumnus who you think is deserving of the Award. With your nomination, you can help recognise alumni who have attained distinguished career success and performed outstanding service to their community and Indonesia.
Self-nominations are permitted. If you have applied yourself or are nominating someone, you are asked to provide supporting documents, including, but not limited to:
- Current biography or curriculum vitae;
- Personal stories, e.g. your/their experience of studying in Australia and how this has contributed to your/their achievements;
- Soft copy of award or certificates of achievement; and
- Other items of interest, e.g. links to research publication, news articles, multimedia/audio-visual content and project websites.
Third party nominations can be received from a range of sources, including Australian universities, employers and community members.
Criteria for Selection
The Alumni Awards recognise achievements namely within the followings criteria:
- Demonstrated visionary leadership, innovation (and entrepreneurship) and best practice at a local, national or international level; and
- Demonstrated personal commitment to principles and values of fairness, equality and equity;
- Evidence of outstanding contribution to and recognition by their profession or industry;
- Have commendable aspirations to create future impact;
- Demonstrated commitment/contribution to promoting linkages between Australia and Indonesia;
- Evidence of outstanding contributions to and recognition by the community and their profession towards promoting gender equality and women’s empowerment and ending violence against women and children; and or promoting multifaith, peace and justice.
The selection panel may also consider:
- Degree of difficulty of the achievement and efforts invested;
- Achievements as an individual or as part of a group or organisation; and
- Magnitude and significance of impacts.
What are the selection processes?
The Australia Global Alumni team in Indonesia, in consultation with the Australian Embassy, will shortlist applications for review and validation by the Awards Selection Panel comprising of the Australia Global Alumni team in Indonesia, and representation from the Australian Embassy Jakarta.
The Awards Selection Panel will assess shortlisted nominations against the above selection criteria. Final candidates are then submitted to the Australian Embassy Jakarta for final consideration and approval. Applicants, nominees and nominators will be advised of the outcome of their nomination by the Australia Global Alumni team in Indonesia, prior to the virtual Alumni Awards presentation in December 2020.