24 July 2019
AKATARA: a renewable energy card game for students in East Nusa Tenggara
More than 120 students in the island of Sumba, East Nusa Tenggara, are having fun while learning abo... Read More
15 Sep 2017
Project Leader: Edi Yansyah
University: Griffith University
Collaborating Organisations: Raja Ampat Local Government
Project Location: Raja Ampat, Papua Barat
Activity Type : Capacity building, mentoring or coaching
Sector : Education and training
Project Objective :
- To develop the profile of community-based tourism in Misool;
- To enhance the capacity of local community members involved in the project;
- To diversify tourism destinations and provide alternatives to marine-based tourism; and
- To encourage villagers in Misool to have their own tourism attractions and destinations.
The project aims to provide alternative tourism destinations and attractions based on terrestrial resources in Misool. The project will be conducted by involving community leaders and prominent youth and women’s groups. In fact, the community in Misool has good local knowledge of the natural resources in their area, but they lack the experience to make the most effective use of these for tourism. The project also aims to develop a framework for community-based tourism in Misool to ensure that the resources are effectively managed and sustainable, and the benefits from tourism activities are fairly distributed to the community. Furthermore, the project also aims to develop and enhance the capacity of the local community involved in tourism in their villages.
- Local communities from at least three villages
- Youth and women’s groups in targeted villages
Priority Development Area:
Human development for a productive and healthy society
Links with Australia:
Misool has tourism attractions that have not been explored. These may include geological heritage, culture, unique wildlife biodiversity such as endemic plants and animals.
Share this article on: